Support Students in Your Community or Church
Support comes in many forms. LECNA has a long history of partnering with congregations and their members to provide students with the information they need to make informed college decisions. Every effort – from hosting a college fair to making a call to having a meaningful conversation about education – can be pivotal in a person’s path to choosing a college.
WAYS TO HELP
- Become a Champion.
- Incorporate a link to www.lutherancolleges.org on your congregational website.
- Host a college fair in your congregation and work with area congregations to bring youth together for a regional college fair event.
- Like us on Facebook.
- Provide prayer support.
- Enlist members of your congregation to assist/volunteer with coordinating a “Lutheran College Sunday” to lift up Lutheran colleges and universities and enhance awareness among members of your congregation. Invite Lutheran college and university alumni to wear attire with their college/university logo reflected on the clothing.
- Create a billboard and display college brochures/materials in the youth area. Request pennants from colleges/universities to display in the youth room.
- Organize a bus trip/tour of area Lutheran colleges/universities.
- Consider taking a confirmation group to a Lutheran college or university for a retreat.
- Host a financial aid night at your congregation and invite Thrivent Financial to participate.
- Host a college planning/college search process session and include parents of youth. Perhaps invite a Lutheran college or university admissions representative to assist with the workshop.
- Establish a scholarship fund for those students planning to attend a Lutheran college or university.
- Invite former members of the youth group who are currently at a Lutheran college or university to come back and speak about their experiences during Sunday worship.
- Invite Lutheran college or university music ensembles (brass, woodwind, string quintet/quartet, choir or other instrumental ensemble) to perform at your congregation.
- Collect lutherancolleges.org materials and distribute them to all college-bound families.
- Bring a youth group to a Lutheran youth gathering and encourage students to visit the college/university section of the interaction center.
- Invite lutherancolleges.org or an area Lutheran college or university admissions professional to attend a regional youth gathering event and conduct a workshop on the value of a Lutheran college or university experience.
- Coordinate a college planning/financial aid session for a Sunday forum to reach out to parents.
BE A CHAMPION
A cup of coffee after Sunday service. A guest lecture in a high school youth group Bible study. Inviting a family for dinner after a college fair in your area. Offering to be listed as a personal recommendation on a student’s college application.
Throughout the year, LECNA publishes a variety of resources to educate and inform congregants on events and issues important in higher education.